My Posts

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Training Camp Awesomeness!

I am in awe of the awesomeness of God! He is always amazing but I do not notice it nearly enough, so He is constantly reminding me.

Today a girl at training asked me if I wanted to go to the store with her before we left, she was taking a cab and said she would pay but just didn't think she should go alone. I didn't have anything to do, but a part of me just didn't want to go for somereason. However, as most people probably know, I hate saying no to people so I figured "why not?" and agreed. When we got in the cab our driver turned out to be from Ghana! (This is another country in Africa for those who don't know). How crazy is God?! What a small world, right? I heard another girl today say that "Our world is pretty big, but our God is WAY bigger!" :):)

Anyway, we ended up having a great conversation just about Africa, Ghana, what we would be doing and other interesting topics. He had a really cool perspective on a lot of things. This whole experience so far (and by that I mean 2 days! Crazy!) has made me realize how much I have missed deep, spiritual conversations, conversations about actual issues, healthy discussions...all of it! I'm someone who thrives on things like that! I am awful at small talk but I will totally dive into deep stuff with people!

There's just something about being with people who you just met, who don't know your past or your friends, who have the same ultimate desire as you, and who just love that Lord that makes for accelerated friendships and deep talks! I love it! I already feel like I've known everyone forever and we all know such deep, personal things about each other (which is kind of uncommon for me this quickly with people).

God has also used them to speak such truth into my life and bring so many things to my attention. Today a big focus we had was speaking truth over one another and being open and encouraging each other. It really is amazing! God has already shown me so much! Some of you (more high school friends than college) may know that I consider myself to be a pretty shy, reserved person (until I get to know you) and definitely not a social butterfly or huge people person. But I decided to try and work on that and to just be myself and not worry about what people thought of me, to an extent and I've found that I actually can be pretty social! :):) Of course, being with people you won't be seeing for an extended period of time does make it easier but it is just nice to know that I can be myself and be accepted. I don't think many people here would assume I'm shy, which is so strange to me, but I love it!

Our leader was talking about how she always thought that God spoke to people but just not to her and then how she realized He speaks to us all differently and how she processes through writing and I just realized that is so true of me! I now feel like God reveals things to me as I write or talk things out with people, so this blog may get intense-be ready :):) There were so many other things as well, overall it has just been such an amazing time of growth and encouragment. I cannot wait to get to Africa and continue on this journey!

I've heard this before, and a girl here brought it up today, that "I need Africa more than Africa needs me". That is such a truth! A couple of us were talking about how God reveals things to us in Africa and through mission work and we come away feeling more changed than changing others. Some people can learn the lessons we learn right here in America but we need to get out of our daily lives and comfort zones and continents! The joy they have there and the lives they lead just show me so much. Selfishly, I like who I am there, more than when I'm comfortable and at home. I truly desire to live that life all the time and continue it when I come home, but I find it so much harder! Some of you may know that I'm more scared for God to call me to stay in America and live some wealthy, priveleged life than for Him to tell me to go live in a hut! But God has definitely shown me how essential people who are blessed are to the ministry that I, and others like me, feel called to. Without support, we would be nowhere!

Wow, so this is crazy long! Sorry! It's just everything God's been teaching me all at once! :):) I'm flying out today at 3pm so please keep my team and I in your prayers! It's going to be amazing! God bless! :):)

1 comment:

  1. Encouraged to hear how Christ is working in and through you. Open up and Christ will vastly change the way you view Him--He is a sovereign God has one plan, one design, NOTHING is coincidence, and EVERYthing is risky. Takes risks and watch the Lord 'come through'--because He loves to. Prayers are with you and your team!

    Baraka,

    Your Brother.

    ReplyDelete